TR-45L QRP Transceiver
The TR-45L 50-unit pilot run construction is now underway! These first units will be factory wired, tested, and aligned. These units will be available for shipment over the next several weeks. The plan is to have kits available in about 6 to 8 weeks. The kit price is expected to be $430.00. Please understand that this will not be a kit for beginners…
Pricing has been set at $580.00 for wired and tested pilot run units, with an additional charge of $22.00 for USPS Priority Mail shipping. There are two available options: The first is an internal 5200 MAH Li-Ion battery pack and charger with a price of $80.00, and the second is an internal Z-Match antenna tuner for easy matching in the field to simple wire antennas. The Z-Match tuner option is priced at $60.00. Note that the Z-Match ATU can be added later but will require that you drill some rather precise holes in the back case housing and a do a bit of soldering.
All seats for the initial pilot run have been filled. For those who have signed up, you will be contacted via email with a Paypal invoice for payment when your unit is available to ship. If you do not respond within 2 days your unit will be offered to the next name on the list! These pilot run units will not be available for shipment outside of the USA. For those interested in signing up for the next run, you can use the form linked here. Be advised, it could take up to 6-8 weeks until they are ready to be shipped.
The TR-45L has been a long time coming, and I thank you for your patience during the development cycles with parts procurement issues due to the covid pandemic. Let’s hope that the ugly covid experience is behind us…
- TR-45L is a 5-band 5-watt CW transceiver covering the 80-75, 40, 30, 20, and 17 meter bands.
- Full band coverage is provided, with the transmitter optimized for the CW band portions.
- The receiver is provided with both narrow and wide band IF filters, and CW and SSB detectors.
- Precision optical tuning encoder for long-life smooth tuning.
- An illuminated front panel meter shows “S” units on receive, and power output (forward or reverse) while transmitting. The meter also will display the battery state of charge.
- A “High SWR” warning indicator will illuminate if the antenna SWR exceeds about 2:1.
- The transmitter power output is adjustable from less than ½ watt to 5 watts with a front panel control.
- RIT is provided to adjust the receive frequency up to + or – 5 KHz from the transmit frequency.
- Two VFOs for each band are provided with recallable memories.
- Dual keyer memory message record and playback.
- A built-in keyer is adjustable from about 5 wpm to 45 wpm with a front panel speed control.
- Separate straight key and keyer paddle inputs are provided on the front panel.
- A front panel adjustable sharp notch filter is provided to null out interference.
- A front panel receiver RF gain control is provided.
- Operates from a 12 volt nominal power source requiring up to 1.3 amperes on transmit, and about 130 ma on receive. A front panel power on – off switch is provided.
- Tuning speed is easily settable from 1 Hz to 1 KHz per step.
- A selectable dial lock is available to prevent inadvertent frequency changes.
- A built-in speaker delivers more than adequate volume.
- There is a knob or switch for every function – no confusing back menus!
- Size 8-1/2” wide, 5” high, 3” deep Weight about 2.8 lb with Internal Batteries
- Optional built in 5200ma Lithium battery pack and charger.
Resources & Documentation
- TR-45L Instructions (preliminary)
- TR-45L Main Board Schematic
- TR-45L Plug-in Board Schematic
- Z-Match Tuner Schematic
TR-45L 5-Band Transceiver
Front Panel 1
Front Panel 2
Front Panel 3
Plug-in RF Board
Optional Lithium battery pack (shown is an old version, the new version will be 5200mAh)